At Hawthorns, our school ethos is Happiness and Success. Our vision is for all pupils to experience ongoing happiness and success during their time with us and we aim to develop a love of learning that will stay with the children throughout their lives.
At Hawthorns, we are on a continual journey to provide the best possible outcomes for our children and are committed to providing them with the highest quality learning experiences We regularly review and adapt our curriculum to ensure it meets the needs of all our learners. To facilitate this learning, in addition to our seven classrooms, we have adapted the learning environments and created four additional specialised classrooms. Our bespoke curriculum is tailored to meet the needs of individuals within all of these classes.
Our Key Principles are to:
- Create a rich and diverse curriculum to interest and inspire
- Use teaching strategies that capture interest and promote positive behaviours for learning
- Create contextual and experiential learning events to immerse pupils in purposeful and meaningful experiences
- Provide opportunities for participation and inclusion
- Personalise learning for every pupil
- Train staff to support children’s individual learning and developmental needs
- Identify barriers to learning and find ways to tackle them
- Teach children strategies to cope and to develop their independence
- Use resources effectively to support children’s access to learning
- Support children to build their knowledge and skills from their starting points
- Prioritise skills for life and healthy living
- Develop children’s experience of the world around them
- Encourage independence in all children, at their own level
- Prepare children for the next steps in their learning journey
The curriculum in the spine classes is organised into a two year planning cycle. Content is organised by a combination of discrete subjects and cross curricular topics and themes. These topics can change depending on the needs and interest levels of specific cohorts. Regular curriculum enrichment days and weeks are planned for each year.